Welcome to Rivington's School Council
The School Council is made up of 2 children from Year 1, 2,3,4,5 and 6. The children are elected onto the council by other members of their class.
Elections take place during September and by the end of the month the newly elected committee will be formed for the academic year.
Once elected the School Council then hold an internal election to determine the following positions:
Mrs Corlett is the member of staff involved in working with the children on the School Council.
Aims of the School Council
At Rivington Foundation Primary School the aims of the school council are:
- To develop the pupils life skills
- To give the pupils a voice
- To assist with improving behaviour
- To help build the school community.
The school council can provide the basis for active learning of important life skills such as:-
- Speaking and listening
- Building self-esteem
- Decision making
- Moral reasoning skills
- Problem solving
- Taking responsibility.
The school council provides an ideal platform for all children to say what they think should happen in their school and have their opinions listened to. They are able to represent the school by giving presentations at various events, reaching a wider audience in the school community.
Through positive leadership the children on school council are able to take responsibility for maintaining good behaviour and setting positive examples for their peers, which can help to move this responsibility away from the teachers and towards the children themselves.
The school council want to help develop our school community, so that the pupils and adults all work in partnership towards shared goals in a caring and supporting environment where everyone is valued and feels safe.
November:Fabulous Fundraising for: Children in Need £300+!!
December:Christmas Knitted Puds for Cancer Charities and School Funds £100
March: Cake Sale to support Joe Flood and his Mum Lesley who are raising money for Teenage Cancer Trust
Red Nose Day
May: Meet Mr Sands - our Chair of Governors
Plus ...Remember to give your School Council Representative any ideas about your class or school that will make our School an even better place to be!
- Year 6 school council representitives went to County Hall in Preston to a Fairtrade Conference. Please see the document section for more information and photographs from the day.
- School Council children assisted Mrs Davies (Foundation Stage Manager/Reception Class Teacher) in selling cakes to help raise money for WellChild (the wonderful charity Mrs Davies is running the London Marathon for this month).
- We were extremely saddened to say goodbye to a former Rivington pupil Harry Grimshaw and we have been raising money for Derian House (one of Harry's chosen charities).